rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Antigua set to host international cricket after serving 1 year ban

Antigua set to host international cricket after serving 1 year ban

Last updated on: April 29, 2010 13:00 IST

The ICC has cleared the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua to host international cricket after it passed an inspection by the governing body following a 12-month suspension.

In February last year, a Test match between West Indies and England lasted just 10 balls before being abandoned because of an "unfit" outfield.

The ICC then told the West Indies Cricket Board that the ground could not be used for international cricket for 12 months and also gave the board an official warning for not preparing the ground effectively for the match.

As per ICC instructions, appropriate work was carried out and monitored by the WICB and an inspection of the ground was done by ICC Match Referee Jeff Crowe.

"We are content that the ground is now of sufficient standard to host international cricket again. The remedial work has been carried out and Mr Crowe has carried out a full inspection, during which he found the ground to be of a good standard," ICC General Manager, Cricket, David Richardson said.

"We are happy the situation has been remedied, we congratulate the ground staff on their hard work and we thank the WICB for their support and commitment in the process. This re-approval is effective immediately," said Mr Richardson.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.