The suspended Pakistani trio of Test captain Salman Butt and pace bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir have until September 20 to ask for a hearing of the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security unit to challenge the provisional suspension imposed on them.
Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board said the three players, who allegedly conspired to bowl no balls to order in the Lord's Test against England last month, have to respond to the Notice of Charge issued to them by the ACSU general manager.
"The three players are consulting the PCB legal advisors, the Pakistan High Commission and the British barrister in London on how to exercise their right to a hearing before a an ICC Anti-Corruption Tribunal," one source said.
"They have to submit a written request for such a hearing to ACSU General Manager as soon as possible, but in any event within fourteen (14) days of the date they received the Notice of Charge leading to their suspension," the source said.
The three players, who have been allowed by the Scotland Yard to come back after a surety provided by the Pakistan government, have not spoken to the media since reaching their homes.
The source said the response from the players will be very important because if they don't send a request by the deadline for a tribunal hearing, it would mean they have waived their entitlement to a hearing.
"It will also be deemed that they have admitted that they have committed the offence (s) under the Anti-corruption code specified in the Notice of Charge sent to them by the ACSU," the source added.
The source said there were also indications that the PCB, after preparing its case, will ask for a provisional hearing into the suspensions from the Chairman of the ICC code of conduct commission who will eventually appoint the tribunal to hear the case of the players.
"The provisional hearing is also important because at this hearing it is the burden of the ACSU's General Manager to establish there is a strong, arguable case against the Players," the source stated.
"The players shall be given an opportunity to contest their provincial suspensions at the provisional hearing," the source added.