rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Move IPL to South Africa again: Warne

Move IPL to South Africa again: Warne

February 17, 2010 19:00 IST

Rajasthan Royals captain Shane Warne is concerned about safety of the cricketers in the wake of threats by terror groups and suggested that IPL-III be held in South Africa again if these threats are credible. 

"The threats of the past 24 hours have certainly got me thinking twice and is of deep concern to athletes across several sports," Warne said.

"If the threats are proven to be real, then organisers of the IPL may look at moving the tournament. We moved it last year at short notice (to South Africa), so it can be done. There is no way organisers will risk the safety of players and officials," he added.

It was Warne who had a few days ago urged the Australian cricketers to turn up for the event without any fear. 

Warne said he is waiting for the advice of Australian cricket's security expert Reg Dickason before making a decision on whether to travel to India.

Twenty Australians, including Shane Watson, Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symonds and Warne himself are signed to play in the IPL. 

"We'll be staying in hotels and travelling on buses and as we saw with the Sri Lankan team in Lahore (which was attacked last year), it can be dangerous," Warne was quoted as saying by Herald Sun.

Terror outfits Huji and Al-Qaida have warned of attacks against foreign teams during the hockey World Cup, Indian Premier League and the Commonwealth Games to be held in New Delhi from October 3-14.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.